MA Heating

Call us today on:

01379 783427

The landlord’s guide to gas safety certificates


The landlord’s guide to gas safety certificates

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 cover in detail landlord’s responsibilities to make sure gas appliances provided for tenants are safe. In short, you are responsible for repair and maintenance of flues, appliances and pipework.

These legal responsibilities apply to all rented properties, including residential premises for rent, rooms, bed-sits, private households, bed and breakfast, and rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, flats and even narrow boats.

In order to be in compliance with the law, you have to ensure that an annual safety check is carried out for any of your properties, covering all gas appliances. These should only be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and you should keep a record of each safety check for a minimum of 2 years and issue a copy to each tenant within 28 days of a check being completed.

The gas safety check record is a documentation of the check and the outcome – so it should be issued swiftly after the check has taken place, regardless of the result. The record should be supplemented with records of any follow-up action taken in response to defects discovered.

Gas safety certificates can be kept electronically, so long as they can be produced in hard form copy if required, are held securely, and identify the registered gas engineer who carried out the safety checks.

The gas safe certificate will highlight any appliances not safe to use – ‘At risk’ means that the appliance is considered to be a danger to life or property without any further faults developing.  ‘Immediately dangerous’ speaks for itself – it should be disconnected and not used again until the defects have been fixed.

If an engineer finds that an appliance is unsafe and turns it off, it’s your responsibility to provide the tenant with emergency heating until the problem can be fixed.

If a tenant has provided a gas appliance themselves, then you are only responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework, not the appliance itself. You should show them how to turn off the gas supply in case of a gas emergency.

See here for updates and more information on the Gas Safe register. If you need landlord’s certificates for any of your properties, why not contact us?

Leave a comment